With the rising awareness about health and health disorders, the corporate wellness programs continue to be on the list of the needed amenities for employees while choosing their employers, and for the employers to retain their workforce and improve their organizational productivity.
The primary aim of the employee wellness programs is to help the employees adapt to healthier habits to gain holistic wellness through different activities and wellness challenges.
Often, employee health is one of the principal reasons which not just affects their performance and productivity at work, but also impacts the overall workplace culture. Also, the workforce turnover rate and engagement scale have been statistically proportionate to the employee health status. And so, businesses have started including appropriate workplace wellness challenges as a part of their corporate wellness initiatives to help the employees achieve wellness benefits and to stay healthy.
At FreeWellnessPlatform.com, our deep analysis of health and wellness helped us design our corporate wellness programs in a way that our wellness challenges throw the spotlight on various wellness aspects, with the most crucial ones being –
- Move challenges – To promote physical activity
- Munch challenges – To promote healthy eating habits
- Mind challenges – To promote mental wellbeing
- Financial Wellness challenges – Offering guidance for better financial decisions
- Virtual Journey challenges – Physical activity with virtual milestones through a journey.
- Move Challenges – Move challenges are all about encouraging the employees to get adequate physical activity. Exercising regularly is known for its wellness benefits, however, it is not very often that we see everyone doing it diligently. As a part of the wellness challenges, the employees are obligated voluntarily to keep going with the activities that need them to move around physically and exercise.
Depending on the age group, gender, health conditions, and other relative aspects, you can assign your users with activities that involve physical movement – ranging accordingly from simple to complex challenges.
- Simple Move Challenges – may include activities like 30-minutes walk every day, moving away from your desk after every hour of work, taking the stairs, dancing, dusting or cleaning your home, yoga stretches, outdoor games on the weekends, and more.
- Complex Move Challenges – may include a bit tougher exercising activities including squats, pushups, weight lifting, lunges, etc. The frequency of these exercises can be assigned depending on the individual’s health aspects.
2. Munch Challenges – These challenges focus on cultivating healthy eating habits to the users while giving them quick tips on how to cook healthily and also the fun facts. Many workplaces do not realize the need to emphasize upon the eating habits of the employees, however, it should be considered since food is an essential part to achieve holistic wellness.
You can include Munch Challenges where the employees get to organize healthy potluck lunches, snacking on nuts, veggies, or fruits while giving up on fried foods, drinking at least 8 – 10 glasses of water every day, and likewise. As an employer, you can also contribute to make these changes at the workplace by filling the office pantry with healthier snacks, provide nutritious caterings, a planned dinner menu for all the employees for the entire week, arranging seminars or professional talks about healthy food choices, sessions with nutrition coaches, and organizing such educational events.
3. Mind Challenges – Mental wellbeing is often disregarded as a parameter for overall wellness, however, mental health is the root cause for many physical health disorders. Emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing are grouped together as mental wellbeing, and our Mind Challenges focus on boosting mindfulness.
Our Mind Challenges focus on various mental wellbeing aspects like – stress management, better sleep, trauma-related disorders, emotional stability, etc., and help the employees overcome them by educating and assigning simple employee wellness challenges like – yoga, meditation, laughter therapy, aromatherapy, motivational podcasts, hobby sessions, along with one-on-one coaching sessions with therapists and professionals to help sort your mental issues for the better.
4. Financial Wellness Challenges – A 2019 PwC Employee Financial Wellness Survey stated that almost 59% of the employees quoted financial issues being one of the primary reasons for their worries and stress, which impacts their performance at work and overall health, thus affecting the organizational productivity too.
To help employees overcome financial stress, the Financial Wellness Challenges offer guidance about their current financial health conditions by calculating their income and expenses, while working out on the probabilities of savings, retirement funds, credit histories, and other financial planning. Since financial matters are sensitive issues, most employers handle it in private, offering one-on-one sessions with financial consultants, webinars, or seminars, apart from incentives like medical insurance and healthcare cost compensation. Also, our rewards management system is built to help the employees gain reward points for their efforts through the wellness program, which can be redeemed as cash, e-gift cards, or transferred to their HSA contributions.
5. Virtual Journey Challenges – Most people consider physical activity uninteresting or do not find the right motivation to keep up with the exercises. To make it more fun and gamifying it a bit is our 6-week Virtual Journey challenges, in which virtual milestones are set through the journey. Every time the user reaches a milestone, they will be rewarded with the defined rewards. These milestones are set depending on various physical activity aspects like – completion of 10,000 steps, walked 3 miles, and likewise.
Right from the tour of the Great Wall of China to the Route 66 journey, our virtual journey challenges are a treat to the users, while helping them reap many wellness benefits and rewards.
How To Choose The Right Wellness Challenges?
A successful wellness program is one which has maximum employee engagement, and this can be achieved only when the employees are excited about the wellness initiatives. To know the best suitable employee wellness challenges, you need to sort the users based on various health and wellness aspects, and assign the challenges or activities that the users feel will help them reach their wellness goals.
For instance, assigning 30-squats a day challenge for an above 50-years aged woman is not going to interest her. Instead, it may only cause more damage. Similarly, inviting a very healthy young employee to a diabetes educational event may be the wrong choice.
Take surveys and feedback from users to know more about their interests and wellness goals, and these results when put together with the HRA and screening reports could help you make better choices about assigning the most fitted wellness challenges to the employees to help them achieve holistic wellness in the right way.